Game-feel Project: Find The Guy

This project was a collaboration between myself, Erik Wenzel, Sabrina Acla, and Dan Chamberlin. All of us collaborated to create the assets in a cohesive manner by drawing them using sharpie markers, scanning them, and vectorizing them in Adobe Illustrator.

The game concept was similar to I Spy, where players try to find a character that remains the same across the levels. The character in question, referred to quite simply as “The Guy”. He is quite nondescript, except for a large waving right hand.

The project was never finished, but here are images of the levels:

Level 1 (red):
Level 2 (Orange):
Level 3 (Yellow): Level 4 (Green): Level 5 (Blue):

Advertisements
Image | Posted on by | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment

Interactive Media Final: Caterpillar Interactive

For this project, we worked with students from Alfred University to create activities for a museum event at the Rochester Museum and Science Center. We were split into groups and given an insect to focus on. My group (including myself, Erik Wenzel, and Amanda McMahon) were given Caterpillars as a topic.

We decided that the most quintessential aspect of caterpillars was the fact that they eat tremendous amounts, up to 27,000 times their body weight, in preperation for making their cocoon and turning into a butterfly or moth. We then decided to make a game where you do just that; eat and eat and eat, with the player winning when they eat enough to make a cocoon.

Erik focused on making paper-cut assets and constructing the game in unity, Amanda focused on animations and also worked on the game, and I focused on making the arcade cabinet.

The cabinet itself was designed to be useable for the target audience, Brownie Girl Scouts, so I made it to be four feet tall max. It was made of one-inch thick particle board, and had a hole cut in the front for the screen, where I placed a sheet of acrylic to prevent users from messing with the monitor. We ordered a joystick that could be connected to a board that was USB compatible. I mounted this approximately 2.5 feet up so it would be comfortable to use for kids. The monitor, computer, and various wires were all located in the top of the cabinet. A lid was constructed to keep prying hands out. The front fascia was decorated with sheets of felt.

The kiosk was largely popular and effective, with many kids playing and re-playing the game. I think this was due to the simple and easy to understand presentation.

Video | Posted on by | Tagged , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Cinema 4D final: R.I.Priceless

 

This is the final piece made in Cinema 4d, a logo animation for a hypothetical company. The logo in question is a second-hand funerary supplies company that sells lightly used coffins, urns, and bouquets. I used Cinema 4D to make the camera movements, 3D objects, and materials. The initial logo was made in Illustrator, and brought into Cinema 4D.

Video | Posted on by | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment

Advanced Motion Graphics: Cinema 4D Rough Draft

This is a rough draft made in Cinema 4D for a logo animation. The logo is for R.I.Priceless, an imaginary second-hand funeral supplies store. Here I have outlined the basics of the 3D version of the logo, materials in Cinema 4D, basic animation, lighting, and camera movements. Moving forward, the developments that are planned are to tweak the materials, improve the lighting, and perhaps populate the environment more.

Video | Posted on by | Tagged , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Advanced Motion Graphics: Cinema 4D Demo

This is a quick demo using Cinema 4D to make an animated 3D object. I used tools within Cinema 4D to extrude the shapes made in Adobe Illustrator. I also used tools within C4D to put textures on the various elements, and animate rotation upon the object.

Video | Posted on by | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

Advanced Motion Graphics: Dada Project

 

The objective of this project was to create a collage-style motion graphic inspired by Dada artists such as Marcel Duchamp. This was accomplished by using stock photography for all of the assets. Technically speaking, tools in After Effects such as 3D layers, camera movements, lighting elements, and a plugin known as Duik Bassel were used in the making of this piece. Duik was used in rigging and animating the snake, cat tail, arm, and goat head. Before compiling, the various pieces were edited in Photoshop so that they would be cohesive in terms of color and atmosphere.

Video | Posted on by | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment